Monday 5 October 2009

Homework - a reflection and some questions to ponder

It's been a wee while....
In typical fashion, just as a few people tell me not to stop writing, I stop writing.  It's been a busy couple of weeks under the beam of the projector (doesn't have the same ring to it "as at the chalk face", does it?)

Anyway, thanks for some positive feedback about the ramblings so far. It's been longer than I'd hoped since I wrote my last little piece.  I felt that a break would be a good idea.  I didn't want to make this a place where I could come on and moan about "the bloody fourth year".  I wanted to get to deeper issues than that.  I felt last time round I maybe let the practicalities of the job get in the way of my higher order thinking.

I'm going to continue from where I left off last time, although this time I'll hopefully deal with the topic in a more reflective manner.  The issue I've been considering is homework.  I make no apologies for using my own practice as a start point in all of this.

Homework
I have an S4 credit class and an S6 set doing higher (for those in England - this means that although they are doing calculus etc and some of them will master it - it's going to be like pulling teeth for me to get them through it.)

First of all the S4.  The reason I was so frustrated in my last post was that I had designed all of my homework in S3 in a certain way.  It was designed to be consolidation of the current topic but it also contained questions which referred back to previous topics in order to keep them in the pupils memory.  My thinking is that by constantly going back to things from the past it will refresh pupils memory and hopefully become something that the pupil knows well.  This is why initially I was depressed with their early S4 homework when they couldn't do anything from last year!  Now I realise the error of my judgement.  The fact was that pupils could do things from early in S3 (further back in time!) because they'd had more consolidation of these topics through the homework.  Whereas the things from later in term (closer to the present time) they had forgotten as they hadn't had as much consolidation over the long term.  I am seeing some very positive results from this now.

My questions to you, readers, are the following?
a.) How do you structure Standard Grade/GCSE homework?
b.)  How do you reinforce previously learned concepts with a class who could do it at the time, but like my class, are unlikely to revise very much?
c.)  Do you use notes jotters?  I give my pupils notes.  The pupils all agree they like them, however I despair when I see questions which are almost identical to those in the notes left with no attempt!
d.)  How do you mark homework?  I have occasionally used peer marking and assessment for learning strategies, however I'm maybe a wee bit old fashioned in that I like to mark it and give them a score with some feedback points attached.  This is time consuming though, as we all know.  A colleague of mine never gives raw scores.  She runs with a green, amber, red system.  I think this may be a wee bit too wishy-washy for my preferences.

My fear is that I am trying to not only teach the kids the work, but also remember it for them, by tailoring all of my exercises as I do.  I don't think I give them enough responsibility for their own learning.  However, there are results to justify at the end of the day.  It's a delicate balance.

The "Success Loop"
 Moving on to the higher class.  I run a similar sort of system for this class.  However, I have additionally added two "recommendations" that some of them are following up.  These are that pupils at least read over their notes every day after class - preferably writing them up - this is how I learned at uni and during my own higher - although I know it might not be suitable for everyone. The second thing I have decided to ask pupils to do is consider the "success loop".

It looks a wee bit like below....


 I am not forcing pupils to do corrections, they need to have some motivation for themselves by the age of 17!  However, they should be considering the above. Most of the pupils in fairness have been trying to fix their mistakes now, rather than getting into dangerous mindsets like I did as a pupil "Oooh, I can never do those hard trig equations!".  My retort to the kids now is "Learn to do it then!".  I will help any of them over and over until they can do it, so it's not getting help that they have to worry about.

Another small, but not insignificant breakthrough that I have made with this class is by giving them a questionnaire about their own attitude to the study of the subject.  I have given questionnaires before about my own teaching - however I've never properly challenged the pupils to be introspective about their attitudes until now.  The impact during that subsequent two weeks has been great - three or four of the pupils who are borderline pass/fails really seem to have taken the message on board and are working harder now.  I feel this was much more effective than the usual rant.  I did add into the rant the fact that Uni is going to be so much harder and much more work etc and that they had to get used to it, and that if they couldn't deal with it maybe they should choose some other life path.   If you'd like  a copy of the questionnaire for a nosey drop me a line.

Any feedback, tips, disagreements etc - leave me a comment! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Scottish Maths Teacher
    I am in my second year of teaching in a college in England. I teach maths to students 16+ which includes A Level and GCSE retake. I have been reflecting a lot this week on the homeworks I set which have been commented on widely by students and now other staff have been feeding back to me that students comment on the homework I set. Largely the feedback has been down to volume (we're told to set homework to take as much time as we have them in lessons for) but some of it is that there are questions they cannot answer... My reasoning, up until now, has been that I want them to practise enough to consolidate learning and have some questions to stretch and challenge them. I know not every student will be able to answer all questions but if I only give questions they can answer is that good for their learning?... I agree with your comments on independent learning at uni and sometimes feel students are spoon fed too much in education up to age 18 and then they'll be in for a mighty shock.
    I am interested in seeing your questionnaire if possible?
    Many thanks and so good to read a maths blog that I relate to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This illustrates an interesting phenomenon and is one that I'm honestly still working to combat. You give the students notes which they use during that lesson. I have found that the next day, when continuing the work, the pupils don't seem capable of turning their books back to these notes to reread the information that they need.
    I suspect that students are so used to be given everything they need when they need it that they have lost the ability to think for themselves.
    I honestly don't know how to combat this very alarming problem. If our students don't start tackling this behaviour they will have serious problems when studying A levels as there will be no time to go over notes already given.
    With regards to homework I work on a two stage process. Firstly I want students to do consolidation work so I ensure they have plenty of questions that get them to practice the techniques they have covered in class.

    Secondly, and more crucially, students need to work on problems that stretch and challenge their perceptions of a topic. I believe this simply because alot of students fail exams purely because they didn't know which technique to apply to a particular question. When you tell them what to use they can often answer the question. Thus I believe that exposing them to more challenging questions prepares them for their exams.

    This is however a contentious subject as your previous post has said. Parents don't like their children having homework that they can't complete. If you tell parents that you didn't intend that everyone in the class would be able to tackle the last two questions then your judgement as a teacher will often be called into question.

    My feeling is that more class time needs to be spent exploring questions that challenge our students. Hopefully they will eventually become used to having to spend time thinking about a question, rather than just quickly getting an answer. This should then give them a better understanding of the maths and also result in an improved ability to tackle the exam papers.
    What I do is include questions from previous topics in with that weeks homework. However at the moment I'm having to keep these relatively straight forward as the pupils often won't look back at previous notes to enable them to answer these questions.

    I think students need to be told what they should do to understand a problem. I really think the mark is not as important as the comments. For instance if they are continually making the same mistake it is better to point that out and not worry about the overall mark.

    The problem is getting the students to accept responsiblity for their own learning. Whilst I accept that teachers need to present material well and ensure that the students have understood it. I firmly believe that our student sneed to take on board their own responsibilities in having to think about the work presented to them and accept that they may have to 'sweat a bit' over some of the topics.

    whilst we continue to give students everything they need they will continue to make no effort to learn for themselves. As we can't actually sit the exams for them I really don't think we are doing anyone any favours by continuing this behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I have our HW set up similarly to yours wrt questions from current topic and some consolidating previous topics. We use Maths in Action for SG and have created HW booklets from the teachers resource pack. Teachers are expected to set one formal HW per topic which includes consolidation questions but the choice of questions for both is up to the class teacher and should target the key areas requiring revision in their particular class. The HW is marked, commented but not graded. The teacher records a 1/2/3 to traffic light on a spreadsheet (conditional formatting turns the cell green, etc accordingly). We do not believe that this is wishy washy but a useful overview of the progress with that particular HW. I used to mark and record percentages for all HW's but to what point? All I and the pupil needed to know was what was good, what needs improved and how. The traffic lights give me a quick and clear overview over a period of time. In addition to this the pupils also traffic light the questions as they complete the HW (see here for more detail: http://www.invergordonacademy.org.uk/Userfiles/File/maths/S4-S6%20Self%20Assessment%20in%20Maths.pdf) Pupils' self assessing is hugely beneficial, I don't need to expand on that, but in addition to this we found that the pupil traffic lighting system also identified pupils who might generally hand in excellent homework, so you think no problem, but actually struggled with it or spent a long time on it which you were otherwise unaware of. Also pupils who thought everything was peachy when it wasn't (admittedly these are easy to spot anyway!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the replies folks, as always it's great to hear from other teachers and get their viewpoints on things that I'm thinking about at the moment.

    "The problem is getting the students to accept responsibility for their own learning. "

    I agree with this totally. We have a lot of kids off just now with flu and when they come back I'll be expected to run around and make sure they have copied up all of the notes and got all of the homeworks to try and got all of the questions they missed from the text. I'll obviously give up my own time to help kids who need input. However, withe possible exception of my senior pupils (aged 17) none of them will make any effort to get this process ongoing. It will be me who will go to them - spoon feeding as usual. I'll be very surprised if many of them come to see me looking for things they have missed.

    I was interested to read the article from Invergordon, a school which has a maths department with an excellent rep.

    I wasn't trying to be disparaging when I said the traffic light system was a bit too wishy-washy for me. I understand enough of it's merits, but to me, without comments it is no more effective than the scores. I like scores, just because I like numbers, I like to plot graphs of progress and I like to have something to compare year-on-year to get a comprehension of how my class is performing relative to classes I've taught previously at this level.

    I spend a lot of time giving feedback to pupils and write a couple of comments to be worked on every time. I don't think the most difficult issue is identifying issues pupils may have with a topic, it's getting them to do something about once that has been identified. I don't know whether a more AiFL influenced strategy would make the students any more willing to study the topics they are finding difficult.

    Nonetheless consider me suitably inspired by the Invergordon model - so much so that I'll pilot it for a few weeks after the October week with my S4 and S6 to see how the classes react to it.

    As for the questionaire, here it is. Primarily it was a introspective exercise to get the pupils thinking about what they put into their home studies. However, another aspect of it was that it let me understand where the pupils were coming from. Does it really matter to them as much as it matters to me?

    maths homework
    --------------
    what day would you like to hand it in?

    do you think you get too much?

    do you think the notes are useful?

    do you think there are enough opportunities to get help?

    do you use these opportunities?

    do you make use of notes?

    do you leave enough time to make a good attempt at your homework?

    by all accounts you should be doing 4 hours a week at home. for every minute in class you should do the same at home. for easy subjects that isn't the case, but in maths it is necessary. how much time do you think you spend per week on maths at home?

    where do you do your homework normally?

    do you have a tutor?

    do you try to fix your corrections every week?

    what do you think of maths in terms of difficulty when compared to other highers?

    do you do more/less work for maths than your other highers?

    is maths a priority for you this year?


    do you read over your notes at home and rewrite them informally for yourself?

    ReplyDelete