Monday 7 September 2009

A Mathematical Vision...

Prompted by feedback from various people I thought I’d post up some more of my thoughts.  As I said a couple of weeks back when I started this blog, I had intended it to be something that would help me to reflect upon what I do.  I am questioning whether it is helping me to focus my reflective thoughts more successfully than I had managed before.   One thing that is for sure is that some of the feedback has really got me thinking - lots of thoughts about the big, deep issues of mathematics teaching.  I didn’t really know what I was searching for when I set out, but now I think I realise.  I want to be able to define my pedagogy and principles more clearly.  I want to have a clearer idea of who I am as a teacher, and whether what I do is as effective or worthwhile as I believe it to be?

I feel I am getting closer to my own teaching philosophy - it‘s amazing the revelations I‘ve had in the space of a few weeks.  I know I work in a results driven business - just like football managers.  But I’d like to think I’m more of an Arsene Wenger - trust the kids and get them doing some beautiful maths moves rather than a Sam Allardyce - rigid, boring but gets results.  Ok Arsene, might not always win the trophies, but I don’t think good exam results and true mathematical enlightenment should be mutually exclusive.

As you can no doubt tell, I am no great writer so in order to stop this turning into a completely unstructured rant I am going to use points made by other people to write about some more of the things I have been thinking about over the past week or so.

I want my students to experience maths rather than being 'taught' by me. However am I asking these kids to reinvent the wheel?   I also worry that perhaps we need to teach them a set of tools and then give them problems where they have to decide which tools to use.

I think there must be an element of re-inventing the wheel with any learning process.  If we were to withdraw this aspect  I think we would end up with purely a “here’s a result. Use it to do questions 1 to 30” approach to teaching.  If kids can’t reason what point is there in equipping them with tools they can’t use?  I can teach anybody to differentiate, but what good is that if they can only apply it to a few selected styles of problems they have learned off by heart?  What happens if something unusual appears in a question in the exam?  PANIC!!!  All kids need a set of tools to use to solve problems, I agree with this.  However, I also feel that we shouldn’t just hand kids these tools without having at least tried to get them to understand them.  I remember as a pupil at school - I wasn’t interested in the proofs our teacher would do as they weren’t examinable.  Well, what a shock I got at uni once proof became important - I was completely useless at it, never having had to properly reason before in my life.

For instance if I face a new maths problem I have a degree and PhD from which I can draw knowledge to help me solve a particular problem. What do the kids have to help them! 

The kids have lots of knowledge - we should be gently building upon things they already know.  A problem is something the kids haven’t got the answer to yet - but as long as the problems set are appropriate - they will almost certainly have the maths to tackle it.  Generally in a lesson there are only a couple of new facts, and as a rule at least one of these could be figured out by the kids as it is a follow on to something they already know!

Surely we should be equipping them to open up new areas of knowledge.

Definitely, but without having ever managed to open up an area of maths for themselves which is already well understood by others, how can they ever move forward to the cutting edge of our subject with confidence and more importantly - the ability and experience to do so?  For example getting kids to figure out simple results by themselves that are part of the course lets them practice the reasoning and logic skills that would be needed should they ever go on to be adults working on new areas of research.  If a pupil has never experienced trying to prove something and not succeeding at the first attempt but still going back to revise his ideas - if he has never had this experience - what hope is there of him ever opening up new areas of the subject later on?

People learn maths by thinking. 

Yes.   But I question whether lots of repeated applications of the same formula is “thinking”.  I loved the anology about a dancer learning to dance by dancing.  I think our kids should be solving problems to get good at maths - but I mean proper problems, not boring repetition.  Although I don’t dispute that in some cases I agree that lots of practice is required to deal with subtle algebraic differences between questions etc.

The only reason to have all of the V,A,K learning styles is to get their attention levels up by having some variety. The V,A,K learning styles are the medium. But the medium is not the message. 

I really liked this post.  Thanks for that input.  I suppose I’ve been guilty of trying to overly jazz up lessons to tick these boxes.

Random points:
I think we need to have confidence in our kids. Today with my new first year class I had them doing an investigation into interior and exterior angels of polygons. My ultimate aim was a formula for the sum of the interior/exterior angles of a n-sided polygon.  I gave them very little information other than what an interior and exterior angle was. I wasn't very prescriptive at all and didn't give them a lot of input into what to do. However, despite this most of them followed the same steps. Most of them chose a table to organise their data for example. These kids had a plethora of skills for solving these problems already, the only new thing that was required was a wee piece of knowledge which as the teacher I gave them.  After that I set them free to discover things for themselves.  I’m a great believer in the idea that if you discover something yourself you are more likely to remember it.

Sometimes we should maybe focus on how much of our "chalk and talk time" is actually delivering properly new content. As I said in my previous post, why should I stand at the board and do examples on adding fractions with x+ 3 and x + 5 as the denominators, when they already know how to add fractions. Why not challenge them first? Push them. All I would do at the board is be providing stabilisers for them. Which does seem a wee bit untrusting, as the kids already have all of the algebra and fractional skills to do the problems. They just haven't put it together before! Let them tackle it in pairs. Let them articulate ideas, let them come up with their own solutions

I know that sometimes when having these debates it’s easy to be idyllic.  When confronted by a class of 30 hormonal 15 year olds, it is something altogether different.  But I think we sometimes need to be brave and design lessons in a way so that pupils can explore for themselves, while at the same time, ensuring that if they don’t quite get there - they have the knowledge required for the exam.

I'll finish on a quote from Larkin’s rant - he asked how much has changed in the years since it was originally written?

“I was made to learn by heart: ‘The square of the sum of two
numbers is equal to the sum of their squares increased by twice
their product.’ I had not the vaguest idea what this meant and
when I could not remember the words, my tutor threw the book at
my head, which did not stimulate my intellect in any way.”


As usual, please post your own thoughts and reflections etc - and tell me if you think I'm wrong.

7 comments:

  1. I always hated the 'We have learned the Quadratic Formula today. Here are 10 quadratic equations. Get on with it', lessons. Boring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comments with interest and agree with almost everything you say I just worry about the execution of it all.

    Consider the problem students have with multiplying and dividing by powers of 10. This is such a simple task and should really be a non-problem however it is now examinable because students get it wrong. I think they are now so confused with the instructions/illustrations we use to explain this process that they just can't figure out what we are trying to say! I was taught, during teaching practice, that teaching kids to add zeros onto the end of a number to solve this kind of question leads to them adding zeros onto the end of decimal numbers and thus not changing the number and getting the question wrong. Then I was told we should alter our method of teaching so this never happens again. I was the only one to ask why the kids were incorrectly taught in the first place. I was taught to locate the decimal point in the number to be mulitiplied by the power of 10. Then to 'jump' the decimal point the required number of spaces according to the power of the 10. Any spaces that appeared, under the 'jumps', had to be filled in with zeros. In no way was I ever taught to just add zeros to the end of my numbers. This method is the one most people use to sort out standard notation, although most people try to cover this fact by confusing terminology. I believe we are guilty of 'throwing the baby out with the bath water'.

    Can I ask you to consider a very simple mathematical process?

    'Write 7/20 as a percentage.'

    Bear with me on this! Explain what you would tell the students to do and then explain why they have to do what they do. I have only just realised something important about this process and I'm not sure if I'm the only one who never realised it or not!

    The revelation I had over this one issue has shown me why pupils have so many problems with percentages. What I'm not sure about is am I alone in this or are there others with me!

    I think we need to equip the students to think for themselves. I can see why problems etc. will help do that. What I'm concerned about is how much can we get them to find out for themselves each lesson? We are all ultimately aiming to help these kids pass exams and they all have a certain amount of information they need to take on board in order to stand a chance at answering questions on the papers. Whilst I agree that trying to get our students to understand maths shouldn't be mutually exclusive with getting them to pass the exam I do feel a compromise needs to be found. I would like my students to understand the maths and to continue to so long after they leave school. However I also need to ensure they pass their maths exam as that will have an immediate effect on their future! I'm still struggling with how to balance these two objectives. However I'm very clear that students need to become more independent of their teachers. They need to think and reason for themselves and clearly problems and 'rich tasks' are one way to do this. I'm just worried that we are all following a trend that we've been taught in teacher training without considering the 'horror stories' we've been told about in teacher training and questioning why they might have happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7/20 as a percentage?

    I tell the students to enter 7 / 20 on the calculator and then multiply by 100 and write that number followed by the percentage sign.

    I don't tell them why multiplying by 100% doesn't change the number. (100% = 100/100, so you are multiplying by 1)

    Is there a problem with my explanation of how to work out 7/20 as a percentage. I don't explain how it works...

    I was taught to multiply powers of 10 by adding zeroes, but it was explained to me that it only worked for whole numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was the moment of revelation for me. We don't tell the kids that we are actually getting them to multiply by 100/100. We get them to hide the denominator and then declare the answer as a percentage. I've never seen anyone show students that they are actually multiplying by 100%=100/100=1. Perhaps it's only my own private moment of revelation but I realised that I'd understood what was happening but I've only ever said to students to multiply by 100 and that is only part of the whole story.

    Those kids I've taught this to, and all the other kids who have been taught in this way, will have an incorrect understanding of what is actually happening and why this calculation results in achieving a percentage.

    This is probably trivial but I think it is the reason some kids, including yourself by your posting, are incorrectly taught how to multiply by powers of 10. Some teachers have distilled the knowledge they have of the correct method into a quick method for the kids to use forgetting that an important step in the understanding of why this works is now missing. The action of 'jumping' the decimal point means that the students are reminded that the original number has to alter when multiply and dividing by powers of 10. This is why alot of students probably learnt to just add zeros and then to extend this to adding zeros on the end of decimal numbers, which doesn't change the original number!

    The original method isn't wrong. the problem is when the teacher uses their own 'shorthand' to teach a method. As I tried to illustrate in my percentage example. I think most teachers are gulity of telling kids to multiply by 100 and just call the answer a percentage. Why are we surprised when our students then have difficulties with percentages? We understand exactly what is happening! However it is hardly surprising students don't understand.
    Compare the percentage question to the following:

    Work out 5/20 of 300.

    We use exactly the same mathematical process, as used for the percentage question, but we make kids label one as a percentage and we leave the other as a number. When you stop and look at what we are doing it's no wonder the kids are so confused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also read the article you included on and earlier posting. When I originally read it I too thought about how we've got our teaching of Maths all wrong and what we need to do to change that. However I have now had time to think about the article and to consider what was said. I don't disagree with the points that were made as I do feel that just teaching formulae and hoping for the best is definitely not the way to go. I have however spent time considering the earlier part of the article and whilst I do understand the point he was trying to make I also started to think back to my own experiences of Art and music at school.

    Firstly when you consider the analogy to Art. How many of us gave up art as quickly as possible because we were no good at it. Who decided we were no good? The article talks about not learning about colours etc but by actually experiencing art by doing it. Whilst I can only agree with this I never experienced this at school. I was very quickly diverted from the the class where the students were going to study fine art into what we called the 'clay group'. I was never given the impression that I could learn how to draw or paint I was just removed from the class.

    Do we treat out maths students in the same way? Yes we do! By setting children and only allowing some to sit GCSE we are doing exactly the same as my experince in art classes, and I suspect everyone elses!

    Music classes are exactly the same. It doesn't make the arguement, in the article, any less valid. But it is incorrect to give the impression that only maths has got it wrong. I think there is a general fault in education that has been present for such a long time that people are 'missing the wood for the trees'!

    I think we need to give our students the belief that they can understand and tackle maths. But we need to be honest in what exactly we want to achieve. We have an obligation to help our students achieve the qualifications they are capable of. This shouldn't contradict with the goal of getting them to understand maths. However we don't get to decide how big the required syllubus is and it is our jobs to ensure it is taught as fully as possible so that the students have the best possible chance in the exam.

    Perhaps my art teacher thought that the effort required to teach me to draw was too great in the time available so I was moved to a class where I would be allowed to drop the subject as quickly as possible. Maths students aren't allowed to do this. Our education system demands that they have to reach a coverted C grade. Is it any wonder they ask us to justify why they have to learn maths? Very few other subjects have to justify their existence!

    Students are always asking me what possible use could they have for doing quadratic equations when shopping in Tesco? My answer back is how does reading Harry Potter books help you shop any better? How does being able to paint like Constable enable you to shop any better? But how many of us really believe that studying maths can enrich the lives of the students we teach.

    I don't believe we just teach formulae. I believe we teach ways of thinking that are unique to maths. That has to involve proofs. They are the back bone of our subject and they are the part of it that people avoid like the plague. We will never get respect, nor perhaps should we, until we face this, deal with it and then include it within our teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did try explaining once that multiplying by 100% was the same as multiplying by 100/100 ie 1

    It was met with blank looks.

    Perhaps I did not explain it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is equivalent fractions. Somewhere in your teaching you will have taught this and hopefully not met with blank stares. We just choose to call these equivalent fractions percentages!

    ReplyDelete